Saturday, June 07, 2008

bazhang










I tried to wake up at 5 am to film my grandmother making bazhang. This year it occured to me to do that, like growing out of being a child eagerly awaiting, and knowing that this is something precious that might not happen many more times. Anyway, my grandmother's bazhang is my favourite food in the whole wide world. One year I had 7 in a day. When we were young, it was one of the most exciting things that happened only once a year. We'd run down in our pajamas and go into the outside kitchen of our old house (it's still on the same spot of land, but it's not old anymore) and sit at the sticky pseudo-wooden table, but not before wearing slippers because the floor would be oily with bazhang oil, and we would be presented with a bazhang that just came out of the giant tin pot cooking on the glowing charcoal. And when we split it with a fork, steam would flow out and up, and the smell is wonderful! It's a brown bazhang with rice, pork, mushrooms and a big fat chestnut. I remember one year in primary school where my grandfather was in the outside kitchen too, and he was dressed for work with his heavy golden pen and white shirt and black pants, and it was 7 plus am with glowing sunshine, my bazhang just split open, and I felt blissful. My grandmother is an expert at bazhang and it's very hard to make, you have to twist 2 banana leaves in a certain way, scoop and pat rice into it, meat, throw in a chestnut, finish it with rice, twist the leaves, and tie the whole thing to a hanging bunch or bazhangs. Then put it in the giant pot for 2 hours, then fish the bunch out by the strings. This year she made me vegetarian ones, with hae bee hiam (shrimp paste) and strangely they taste nearly like the meat ones. I hope when I'm 64 I'll still remember the taste of her bazhang and sit in my rocking chair looking at my grandchildren but feeling like a child again thinking of the sweet chestnuts and early morning darkness and her knobbly hands patting the rice into the leaves.

2 comments:

curiouslypaper said...

i know exactly what you mean when you described your grandma's skill in folding the leaves super quick and putting the ingredients one by one and the rice.... Looking at the picture where there's the whole BUNCH of bazhangs made me feel so nostalgic. I haven't eaten it in ages, my grandmothers' bazhangs. probably can only get it from outside unless i ask grandma to make it shrimpy too. :( When i was young i remember both grandmothers walking me to PAP kindergarten and both asking me which of their bazhangs i prefered (my maternal one makes the nonya kind with white rice, and my paternal one makes the brown one), and at that moment i was truly scared to reply and hurt their feelings. So I said "I like ma ma's fillings but ah ma's rice". Which my sister totally agrees with! I miss you, reading your entry.

d said...

AYE! MEET ME i have SOMETHING from VIETNAM for YOU. hee hee. do you like dark blue or turqouisey blue or purple? all nice, but choose one. can't wait to show you all my photos! im uploading some on facebook now. but if you dont want to look at them there, i'll develop them. or when we meet i can bring my camera! half are in elfie's camera though, and all the photos with me in it are in there. haha. but mine are nice tooooo. AH! be-tu-na-muuuu. (that's vietnam in japanese!)