Saturday, May 23, 2009

i look forward to this morning every year

In our old house, which sat on the same spot, the kitchen wasn't white and modern, twas old with beige tiles and rattan blinds you could pull down to block out the sun rays. The kitchen would be most oily the morning my grandmother made bazhang, with oil from the just-cooked bazhangs dripping on the floor and we would rush there in our pajamas to eat a steaming hot bazhang. It goes wonderfully with tea or milo. My grandfather would be all ready for work with his gold watch, eating too. It was marvellously exciting. Each bazhang has rice, mushrooms, pork, and a big chestnut, cooked in a steaming pot for one and a half hours. But since I stopped eating pork, my grandmother has made hay-bee-hiam and chicken ones for me. It is very hard to make this! Takes a lot of skillful finger twisting, and my grandmother learnt this from her mother and mother-in-law. Once when I was young, I ate seven in a day, for all meals. My whole family loves it. And here it is, though it's in a different but same place, this time round.




deranged grandmother who started at 1am as she couldn't sleep

choosing good leaves is an important step.
the hardest step, wrapping up the bazhang






3 comments:

Emilia Lim said...

i love this photo commentary!!! :) reminds me of home! haven't had a good bazhang in a long time!

mary said...

hello!!!! are you coming back to singapore soon? the next time you come, lets visit the old childcare for real :-)

d said...

is this emilia emilia!? hello! eh xixi your old kitchen had alot of lizards. HAHA! and ANTS.