Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Love is

my grandmother asking me what I want for breakfast every night;
when she watches me eat the nutritious steamed fish with ginger
that she cooked with her tubby belly sticking out at the flaming wok;
my father who doesn't give a hoot-ass about the art I make
picking me up from the mrt at 11.30pm in his pyjamas;
my mother, not giving up;
a real tight hug;
lunch at 12:15;
sitting close;
letting me use the toilet first;
sharing water;
packing lunch too;
a handwritten letter, sent by post;
a brush of the hair, pat on the head;
a rusty old accordion;
landing in India;
28-rupee thali eaten by hand;
phone call from home in another land;
delirium spice mixed by heart;
long silent train rides, crazy wal-mart;
magic marvellous masala chai;
sharing roadside pad thai
you had coffee I had soya bean
you have long hair I have short,
you are tall I am so tiny but we
confidently walk the dark streets side by side;
landing in changi airport and
going to the girl's toilet together;
waiting waiting waiting and then
going to the movies together;
sleeping over with the cousins;
the smell of dried flowers;
the fresh taste of mango;
the warmth of tangyuan;
the wholesome fragrance of nasi lemak rice;
when you tiao found dou jiang;
garage sales on sunday afternoons;
phlegm wriggling in the pavement;
an old hard scab;
a wrinkled veined hand;
a gloomy reservoir lake;
the talon of a black cawing crow;
droplets of nosebleed;
throwing chicken rice at the wall,
sweet sauce stain and red chilli brains;
terribly sleepless nights;
nearly a heart attack, angry blue blood;
the familiar smell of insect repellent;
rough tree bark outside my house;
rainbow suicides on sunny days;
playing pretend on rainy days;
pretending to love on empty nights;
a mime;
without time;
time out of mind;
fat juicy lemon-lime;
not needing to explain;
dangerous, poisonous, consuming;
simple, gentle, sweet, kind.


No comments: