Thursday, September 03, 2009

john paul george ringo and yoko

The contrasts grew even more stark as the years went on. McCartney increasingly composed everyman narratives and celebratory calls; Lennon was writing from what he saw as a more authentic and troubled viewpoint. (I disagree) "Paul said, 'Come and see the show,'" Lennon said later. "I said, 'I read the news today, oh boy.'"

I never really knew how the beatles broke up but when I saw the Rolling Stones September issue on it, it seemed the right time to read about it. It was sad and nasty, but here's a funny bit:

(p)
There were only two options, "to oppose Yoko and get the Beatles back to four or to put up with her." He opted for the latter, because he didn't want to lose John. In addition, he said, he felt he had no place in telling John to leave Yoko at home. It did, however, always rankle McCartney when Ono would refer to the Beatles without the "the" - as in, "Beatles will do this, Beatles will do that." Paul tried to correct her - "Actually, it's the Beatles, luv" - but to no avail.



"It was all such a long time ago," George Harrison said years later. "Sometimes I ask myself if I was really there or whether it was all a dream."

No comments: